Saturday, February 23, 2008

Fun Run

Some people think that the words fun run are an oxymoron. I, on the other hand, think that running really can be fun. Today, I ran my first 5K since Ben was born. The city was hosting a local race to support the American Cancer Society in the Relay for Life. I had a blast! The race started at 8:00 am. It was in my neighborhood, so I got up at 7:00 and got ready to run. I walked down there just in time to register and stand around for a couple minutes. Then, I walked to the back of the line at the starting line because I knew that I wasn't in very great shape. I wasn't considering myself a "serious runner." The horn blew, and I started running. As I watched the people in front of me start to spread out, I wondered if I could really make it, but I kept my mind tough and ran. I focused on my stride and my arms and made it up the first big hill. Right at the top of the hill, standing in our driveway was my family, including my Mom-In-Law, and my best friend's family. They cheered for us. At that point, I took off my sweater and threw it on the driveway. Jackie said, "Oh no mom! You dropped your sweater!" I laughed at that, and it made the last bit of the first mile and the entire second mile better. About half way through the second mile, we ran past my house again! Jackie yelled great for me, and Rob took some pictures. I am not planning on posting them on here though. My short hair is in pig tails, and I really look like a dork. The dorky look is entirely fine with me, but I don't want it plastered all over the internet. Coming down the last hill, I started catching two people, and I felt like I wasn't going to make it, but I'd come so far! I knew that I could make it just the last half mile. The problem is that the worst hill in the race was up through the last half mile. I pumped my arms and told the people next to me that we could do it. (I don't have a clue who they are, but that's the way of a good 5K.) Then, I rounded the last bend, and there were the cones for the finish line. All of a sudden, I had enough energy to run faster to the finish line. I made it!

As soon as I crossed the finish line, I still had more to do. I had promised Jackie that she could do the one mile run with me. I walked the three quarters of a mile back home. Rob and I hurried to load the kids into the car, and we drove back to the starting line of the race. Then we all registered for the 1 mile fun run, and Jackie walked and ran the entire mile. Rob, Jackie, Ben and I all did the fun run together! I was great to do that as a family. After the one mile run, we waited for the awards to be given out. I was shocked to hear my name called as the winner of my age division! YIPEE! I got a beautiful thermos with the name of the race written on it.


This is a picture of Jackie and I with our prizes! Since writing the above, my sister asked me to post a picture of the prizes, so here it is. I got the CUTE thermos for winning my age division, and both Jackie and I got the T-shirts for participating in the races. Jackie also got some Playdough for participating. She is very proud of herself for having "won" it. I'm proud of her, too! She really did a great job today. I can't wait to run another one!

Sometime next week, the race results will be posted on http://www.gulfwinds.org/ for anyone who is interested.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ellie! It sounds like it was a fun day with the family. I can't wait to see a photo of your prize!
Love,
Ruth

Jill Skouson said...

I'm impressed Ellie! Congrats!

Anderson's said...

I need to do one of those sometime. I want to run so bad right now.

Melissa said...

Yea for you!

I keep my running to a elliptical trainer to save my knees. Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp..:)

But yea for you!

Robert said...

I keep my running to a minimum, too, mostly because of my knees. I have learned to enjoy the after-glow, but I mostly stick to long walks.

I am, however, very proud of you, Ellie, and I hope you continue your running. I know it means I have the kids more, but I think it gives you a great balance you need in life. So, pardon the trite comment, but Run, Ellie, Run!

Blake and Rachele Burtenshaw said...

Way to go Ellie. That's so great. I wish I could do that.

Julie Pippert said...

Look at you two with your happy and proud smiles!

Way to go on the 5K!

Of course these things can be fun---i always feel good at accomplishing a challenge like that and knowing my body is healthy and strong. I realize that sounds corny but what can I say? It's true!

CONGRATS!!

le35 said...

I feel the same way. I love it when my body is happy and strong, and I love working the stress out of my muscles. I feel SO good.

Our Corner said...

What a fun way to spend time with your family. Congrats on winning in your division. thats awesome!. :)