Tuesday, January 6, 2009

In the Hospital

So, this is part one of my birth story for this little guy. Right now, it is 11:55 pm on January 6, and I have an epidural, cathetar, and IV inserted. I also have some internal monitors because had a C-section with Jackie.

I am, however, very comfortable, and I'm thinking of going to sleep, but I just wanted to get the story down up to this point first, and then we should have some pretty exciting news in a couple of hours. I think that I'll wait until a slow time tomorrow though before I write about anything interesting. . . Like the baby's details.

This morning, I went in for a routine OB appointment with the midwife, and I had been having a lot of lower back pain and contractions. I got in, and I was dilated to 4 cm. I was stoked because at my previous appointment, I had only been at a 1. I asked her if she would strip my membranes, and she did, and by the time I got home two hours later, I had had four pretty strong contractions. I started working to make sure that I had my bags packed and an overnight bag packed for the kids. I also got the carseat figured out and installed. Mostly, I just worked to get everything ready to take to the hospital. Around 4 this afternoon (after a trip to Wal-mart because I realized that ALL of my receiving blankets and my little head rest thing that goes into the carseat to keep the baby's head stable were in the storage unit.) I went to go get Rob from work. We came back home and loaded the bags I had packed into the car, then we drove to the town with the hospital. We decided to eat a good dinner first before going into the Dr, and I'm glad we did. I would have been starving by now. Then, we drove to the hospital and waited an hour for Triage to get a bed to be able to check me out.

The midwife came in, and said, "How are we doing?" The baby and I were fine, but the contractions that had been coming at 9 minute intervals suddenly stopped once I hit the triage bed. CRAZY! When the midwife checked me though, she said that I was dilated to a 5 1/2, and they admitted me to the hospital. They gave me some Penicilin because at the first of my pregnancy, I had a positive Group B Strep test. Then, they put me in the bed and broke my water. They broke my water around 10:30. If the pattern for Ben follows, I should have a baby by 2 am.



Blake and Rachele Burtenshaw said...

Hey that's exciting news. I hope that everything goes well and your baby is healthy. Good luck with everything.

James and Kristene Armstrong said...

Yea!! I'm so excited for you. I cant wait to get all the baby details. :)