Saturday, April 18, 2009

Children: The Challenge: A Book review

Children: The Challenge by Rudolf Driekurs is an excellent book. I highly highly highly recommend it. If you are a parent with children under 10, and you are constantly in one power struggle or another with your child(ren) then this is a book for you. I mean it! I have rarely, if ever, spent time that I thought was more quality while reading a book than the time I spent reading this book. OK, OK, so the scriptures don't count. But seriously, folks, this book ROCKS. It Rocks so much that I immediately bought three copies (I only meant to buy two, but when I accidentally bought three I did NOT send the third one back.) At the suggestion of my excellent mother, I borrowed this book. My Mom-in-law happened to have it. I'm very grateful that she did since my copies from Amazon took a little longer than usual since, in my exhaustion, I forgot to change my shipping address from my old house (which we no longer own.)


However, I borrowed this book, and I could not put it down. There are so many good ideas in it. I am loving the ideas. This book gave me such a sense of empowerment that I could again be the leader of my household. I need to work harder at taking my sails out of my children's wind, but at the same time, I am going to work to leave the power struggles behind. There are some ideas that the book shares that I don't like, but at the same time, the idea behind this book is to raise the child with respect. Teach the children respect for you, each other, and order. At the same time, I have gained more respect for Robert, my children, and order. If you know me at all, you know that giving me a respect for order is like trying to teach a bird to swim. So, helping me gain a more healthy respect for order is beautiful too. I love this book. Here is a link.


No comments: